A bit about me...

Special Education has always been a part of my life in some form. My mother was a special educator for 25 years, and because of her influence I have had the desire to work with the special needs population since I was a child. I am in my third year of college now at the University of South Alabama and have truly enjoyed every step of the way to becoming an early intervention special educator. My short term goal is to transfer to Auburn University to acquire an emphasis in autism. I will be periodically updating this blog with what I have learned both as a journal for myself and a way to present my qualifications when I can finally begin the process of looking for job. Feel free to make any comments or ask any questions about my blog or about me!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

SPE 400-wrapping it up this semester!

This semester I took my very first course for special education. SPE 400 was a class on the general characteristics, definitions, assessments/identifications, causes/prevalence, effective instruction techniques, and least restrictive environments (LRE) of each type of learning exceptionality. We also covered topics such as laws governing the education of exceptional children, the components of IEPs, supports for parent and family involvement, and transitioning services into adulthood.

Some of the exceptionalities covered during this course included mental retardation, learning disabilities, emotional and behavioral disorders, autism, communication disorders, physical disabilities, various health impairments, AD/HD, traumatic brain injury, giftedness, blindness and low vision, and deafness and hearing loss. I learned so much in this class about each exceptionality! One very important lesson I learned from this class is that each student is as unique from one another as each of the exceptionalities! This makes evaluation difficult sometimes when trying to determine exceptionalities. This is also important to remember as a general education teacher. Sometimes we must think outside of the box to reach each child!

Towards the end of this course I was required to attend a one hour field experience in a special education setting. I chose to visit the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind (AIDB.) Here I was given a tour of the classrooms and shown the various types of equipment made available for the deaf and blind. The classrooms were for early intervention classes for pre-school aged children that are blind, have low vision, deaf, hard of hearing, or are developmentally delayed because both parents are deaf. The equipment displayed for these people were for children, adults, and seniors with hearing or visual impairments, and ranged from basic tools to highly advanced technology.

Although my trip was short, I learned a lot at AIDB. I also found out that AIDB will also be offering several six week long American Sign Language courses this summer for a low price of only $40! After I take the course this summer I will make a post on what I learned. In all, SPE400 was a very enjoyable, interesting, and fulfilling class.

No comments:

Post a Comment